Diamond Version 4 - Beta Version Download
This page is the central access point for the download of the beta 4 version
of Diamond. Besides this, there may be additional documents (what ever) here on
this page for download.
The Diamond 4 beta version has become available. The final release
of version 4.0 is scheduled for September/October 2014. (That
is because during beta test phase the documentation and online help must be written.)
You can check out the Diamond Developer Blog
for more details about the progress of the beta version and the preparation of documentation
(and release version as well as versions 4.x later).
Some important notes for the usage of a Diamond 4 beta version:
- The current beta version (4.0 beta 1) will expire on July 31, 2014 and will
be superseded by a subsequent beta version.
- This beta version is aimed at users of the current version 3.x of Diamond to check
out new functions and features of version 4. If you are not familiar with Diamond
version 3.x, you should inform about that version and/or first try out the current
Diamond 3.2 demonstration version, cf. the links below.
- Since the online help has not yet been updated to the new commands, dialogs, and
functionalities and no manual or tutorial is yet available, we recommend using the
"What's New" manual (available from the "Help" menu) that guides you through the
new features of version 4.
- Since this beta version is in an early state, there are still a lot of bugs, and
some functionalities are still incomplete:
- Changes in structure documents may be saved incompletely in the original file format
of Diamond 3 and 4 (the Diamond Document format, "diamdoc").
- Changes may be restored incompletely when using the "Undo" or "Redo" commands.
- A banner with "Diamond Version 4.0 Beta 1" will appear in saved bitmaps, Windows
Metafiles, and printouts.
- The "Video Buffer" is not yet buffering images from the "Tools/Video Sequence" commands
or from the (new) "Tools/Photograph" command.
- POV-Ray is not included with this beta version.
- The "Start View" you are reading as well as the splash window that appears when
Diamond is starting will be re-designed.
- This beta version cannot yet - neither manually nor automatically - update to a
newer beta version. (Later beta versions will do.) In order to continue testing
the upcoming Diamond 4 version after expiration, you have to download and install a newer beta version manually from this page.
Download of Diamond Version 4.0 Beta 1
Version created on April 11, 2014.
File size: 687,213,247 bytes.
Please check the size of the file after download to avoid errors in the installation
procedure caused by incomplete file download.
Link to self-extractable installation file:
Link to Readme.txt file: Readme.txt
If you already installed a Diamond 4 Beta Preview version (that was available for
participants of the DGK meeting in Berlin in March 2014), first uninstall that preview
version before you install the beta 1 version.
(1) Depending on the Windows version where you are installing
the beta version, you will receive several warnings, such as that a downloaded executable
file may harm your system, or (after download) that the origin of the file cannot
be determined and you are asked to delete the file. The file has been tested here
for viruses with Microsoft Security Essentials.
(2) You can install Diamond 4 beta version on a computer where Diamond version 3.2
already has been installed. (Diamond 4 beta will be installed into a different sub-directory
and uses a different section of the Windows Registry to save its settings. Double-clicking
on a diamdoc file will still open Diamond 3.2 rather than 4 beta.)
When you encounter errors using the Diamond 4.0 beta 1 version (you will -- sooner
or later), you should first check the page "Diamond Version 4 Beta - Known Bugs",
if this bug already has been mentioned. Otherwise please report the bug to: